Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Thus Be It Ever

For years now, I have wanted to serve in the United States Military.  It was not until recent years, however, that I gave serious consideration as to why I wanted to serve, and whether I should choose to serve, based on this desire.  Recently I found my answer in the inspired lyrics of our national anthem's third verse.


O thus be it ever, when free men shall stand,
 Between their loved homes, and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the hev'n rescued land,
Praise the Power that hath made, and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust!"
And the Star-Spangled banner in triumph shall wave,
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave!


In high school, I studied extensively what it truly means to be a free man, and how unique it truly is to the American experience.  A free man, according to wise men such as St. Thomas Aquinas, John Locke, and many others, is a man who has the liberty to choose for himself what he is to do, and whom he is to be.  A free man should be free from coercion in this decision.  No government or band of thugs can be permitted to interfere in the life of a free man.  This kind of liberty, under the name of agency, was the key difference between the plans of God, our loving Heavenly Father, and Lucifer, the father of lies.  The freedom to choose our own paths is essential to God's plan of happiness.  Clearly the Father wants men to be free men. In the modern era, this level of freedom first existed in the United States.

As a relevant aside, consider "the war's desolation."  We here in the United States have been, by and large, spared from having the war's desolation on our own soil.  Twelve years ago today, however, that was not the case.  Our enemies struck right at us in our homes, killing over 3,000.  We were, and are, understandably shocked and appalled by what we saw.  Humans should not be killed.  The shedding of innocent blood is an abomination to the Lord. There is nothing good about combat, but I digress.

The main point of the verse is that free men, without coercion, choose to stand between the home they love, and the horror of war.  That is why I have chosen to serve.  I am a free man, and the idea of my beloved home, and more importantly, my loved ones who reside in that home, experiencing the tumult of conflict is utterly abhorrent to me.  I freely choose to stand between peril and my loved ones, though my life be taken in the effort.

I say this, not to glorify or draw attention to myself, but because I think that I am not unique in these feelings.  I am sure that, throughout the centuries, the American fighting man has had this same sense of duty to the ideas that have protected him, and protect his family.  Think of that verse the next time you see a man in uniform.  Think of him as one who has freely chosen to throw himself in the line of fire to protect what is important to him.  Pray day and night for Divine protection for him and his comrades.  He truly will conquer when our cause is just.  He will accept nothing less, because he loves you and his nation enough to sacrifice everything he has for it.  Let us truly make our motto "In God is our trust," for none else can deliver.  With trust in the Lord, and the sacrifice of the American fighting man, the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave, every time.

3 comments:

  1. I have always loved the lesser known last verse of our national anthem. It is stirring and inspiring.

    Something else to consider, is these brave free men willing to join the military and protect all that is dear in our country, also sacrifice their own freedom to do so. Their will becomes that of their leaders, and sadly their leaders can be just as corrupt and evil as those we are fighting to keep out of our homes. The current political leadership trends equally reflect those of our military leaders. One is not better than the other. There are many ways to fight for justice and freedom, this is only one. Being willing to sacrifice the most doesn't make it more effective, and the sacrifice rarely affects just you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This spirit is the difference between the soldier of the West and the warrior of the tyrant, and it is why the West has been so successful in its warfare.

    ReplyDelete